Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On said yesterday he would “seriously consider” whether to stand for re-election after he returns from his duty visit in Beijing later this week.
Chui made the remarks to reporters before his departure from the local airport on a flight to Beijing to meet the nation’s top leaders to brief them on the city’s current situation and details of his policy blueprint for next year.
Asked by reporters as to whether he would seek re-election next year, Chui said that he heard the question from reporter several times already.
“As I have reiterated many times, whether or not I decide to stand for re-election is a very serious matter.
“As I have said before, first I’ll re-read my political platform for the 2009 chief executive election to see how many [of my promises in the platform] have been implemented so far,” Chui was quoted by The Macau Post Daily as saying, adding, “After I return from Beijing ……. I’ll consider the matter seriously.”
Chui’s official term will end on December 20 next year. The chief executive election campaign is slated to start in March. Observers expect Chui to be the only candidate.
According to the Macau Basic Law, the chief executive can serve no more than two consecutive five-year terms.
The chief executive will be elected by the 400-member Macau Chief Executive Election Committee. (macaunews)