The Macau Jockey Club (MJC) said yesterday that the company suffered a loss of 50 million patacas last year, about 10 million patacas less than 2012, adding that the current construction of the city’s light rail transit (LRT) system was an “inconvenience for customers”.
Thomas Li Chu-kwan, executive director and CEO of the Macau Jockey Club made the remarks to reporters on the sidelines of Sunday’s horse racing programme to celebrate the Chinese Year of the Horse.
Asked by reporters as to the latest situation of the company, Li said that the loss recorded last year was lower than 2012.
“We lost about 50 million [patacas] last year. Comparing to 2012 it is better, it is 10 million [patacas] less than 2012. The total betting last year was about two billion [patacas]…about five percent less than in 2012,” Li said, adding that company would give its employees a five percent salary increase.
An LRT station in front Macau Jockey Club is under construction. The Macau Jockey Club is part of the gambling empire co-founded and headed by gaming mogul Stanley Ho Hung Sun.
“Now there are many [LRT] projects ongoing …due to the project at the entrance [the Macau Jockey Club] cannot be seen. It [LRT construction] has brought inconvenience to customers,” Li was quoted by The Macau Post Daily as saying.
Attending the same event, SJM director-cum- lawmaker Angela Leong On Kei, who is Ho’s fourth wife, told reporters she believes any road construction is affecting any business, adding she hoped that the LRT project could be completed soon.
Leong also said that there was a mothballed casino in the Macau Jockey Club which was being refurbished since it has been not in use for a long time. However, she did not elaborate on when it would re-open.
She also said that depending on the LRT construction, the Macau Jockey Club would think about how to renovate its facilities.
Leong also argued that it was “irresponsible” to oppose the mainland’s Individual Visit Scheme, urging the public to consider the economic benefits it brings to Macau . Under the scheme, mainlanders can visit Macau as individual tourists, not having to join tour groups.(macaunews)