The Judiciary Police (PJ) are investigating a homicide which occurred on Saturday night outside the Four Seasons Hotel in Cotai in which a male mainlander was stabbed to death, while another three mainland men were injured, according to a PJ statement on Saturday night.
No one had been arrested as of last night in connection with the case.
The PJ statement did not mention what kinds of wounds the four men sustained. Neither did the PJ statement clarify whether the four mainlanders knew each other, nor whether they were together when they were attacked.
According to the Fire Services Bureau (CB), the fatality sustained multiple stab wounds on his chest and waist, while the three injured men also sustained multiple knife wounds.
In another PJ statement released yesterday about the case, the Judiciary Police said there was “no indication” that the case involved gaming-related criminal activities.
Saturday’s PJ statement identified the deceased as a 40-year-old surnamed Wei.
Attacked by ‘multiple’ men
According to the statement, the Judiciary Police received information from the Public Security Police (PSP) at around 9:15 p.m. on Saturday that four male mainlanders were attacked by “multiple” men underneath a footbridge near the Four Seasons Hotel – the pedestrian bridge connecting the hotel and the Sands Cotai Central complex. One of the four – Wei – was rushed to the Taipa branch of the private Kiang Wu Hospital while the other three were taken to the public Conde de São Januário Hospital Centre on the peninsula, the statement said.
Wei was pronounced dead after emergency treatment failed to save his life, Saturday’s PJ statement said. Among the three injured men, one underwent surgery and remained hospitalised, while the other two were later discharged after treatment, the statement said.
Saturday’s statement said that PJ officers have provisionally classified the case as homicide. The exact cause of Wei’s death is to be determined by an official autopsy, according to the statement.
In yesterday’s statement, the Judiciary Police said that so far there was “no indication” that the case involved gaming-related crimes or illegal currency-exchange activities in casinos.
Investigation ‘making progress’
Yesterday’s PJ statement said that the ongoing investigation into the case “has made some progress”, pledging that the police would release further information on the case after striking a balance between ensuring judicial confidentiality and the public’s right to know.
According to yesterday’s PJ statement, the two injured men who have been discharged were taken to the PJ headquarters for questioning. The other injured man, who was still undergoing hospital treatment, was in a stable condition at the time of the release of yesterday’s statement.
According to a Fire Services Bureau statement on Saturday night, the three injured men are aged between 29 and 39.
According to a PSP statement on Saturday night, at around 8 p.m. on Saturday PSP officers on patrol saw that a man – the one identified by the Judiciary Police as Wei – lying on the ground near the footbridge had suffered stab wounds, and they later found another three men nearby who had also sustained knife wounds.
The local police recorded two homicides last year.
If officially confirmed, Saturday’s case would be Macau’s second homicide this year.
According to media reports, last year’s two reported homicide cases did not involve casino activities.