Three outsourced cleaners – all Filipinos – working at the public Conde S. Januário Hospital Centre passed out outside the hospital after lunch on Saturday, possibly suffering heatstroke, the government has announced.
According to a Fire Services Bureau (CB) statement on Saturday, the three non-resident workers, aged between 25 and 30, took a rest on the pavement outside the hospital’s laundry after lunch on Saturday, during which they suddenly passed out.
According to the statement, security guards saw what had happened and alerted the hospital, after which the three men were rushed to its emergency department, and one of them required intensive emergency treatment.
The Fire Services Bureau also said that firemen equipped with gas detectors searched the area but did not detect any abnormal situation.
The Health Bureau (SSM) told government-owned broadcaster TDM on Saturday that the three cleaners had been hospitalised for further observation and treatment and were in stable condition. The bureau also said that doctors believed that the trio had suffered heatstroke.