Two male defendants, one from Hong Kong and the other from Macau, were Tuesday sentenced to eight and half years behind bars each for their involvement in the city’s first “ice factory”. The trial which started last month involved 4 male defendants. Two of the Macau defendants were acquitted for lack of evidence. According to … Continue reading "Two defendants in local “ice factory” get 8 1/2 years jail"
1 Aug, 2012
The Audit Commission says in a report that the government’s now defunct office that prepared Macau’s participation in the 2010 Shanghai World Expo has failed to provide a full explanation about the 34.4 million pataca difference between the actual amount of money it paid for moveable assets and the respective amount listed in the government’s … Continue reading "Audit report slams local Shanghai Expo office for ‘missing’ 34 million patacas"
31 Jul, 2012
Macau Tuesday endured its strongest typhoon, with wind speeds of 144 km/hour at its height, in 13 years, resulting in 16 minors injuries and 254 incidents, the government said. It was also the first time this year that the No. 9 warning signal – the second highest – was hoisted since the establishment of the … Continue reading "Strongest typhoon in 13 years injures 16, causes 254 incidents"
25 Jul, 2012
Macau hoisted today its first No. 9 typhoon signal when Vicente passed near the territory with winds over 180 km per hour. The No 9 signal was hoisted at 2:15 a.m., for the first time since 1999, when Vicente closed to Macau territory during the night. Monday at about 7:00 p.m, the Meteorological and Geographical … Continue reading "Macau hoists No. 9 typhoon for the first time since 1999"
24 Jul, 2012
The Infrastructure Development Office (GDI) said Sunday that it had not yet set a timetable to resume construction of a tunnel that will connect Cotai and the University of Macau’s future campus on Zhuhai’s Henqin Island, after part of the Hengqin section collapsed on Thursday night. A spokesperson said to the Macau Post Daily that … Continue reading "Govt says ‘no timetable’ to resume"
23 Jul, 2012
Troubled Macau Cable TV said Wednesday that it planned to sue the government for failing to protect its rights and interests which are supposed to be guaranteed under the conditions laid out in the 15-year monopoly concession agreement signed with Macau’s then Portuguese administration in 1999. The company also said it would “fight for” the … Continue reading "Macau Cable TV vows to sue govt"
19 Jul, 2012
The government said Monday that a human resources database, which is currently under preparation, would help local students and employers understand the supply of, and demand for the city’s tertiary education graduates. Tertiary Education Services Office (GAES) Director Sou Chio Fai made the remark to reporters on the sidelines of the opening ceremony of the … Continue reading "Govt setting up database on tertiary education students"
17 Jul, 2012
Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On said in Beijing Monday that there was still no concrete date for the launch of 24-hour immigration and customs land-border checkpoints between Macau and Guangdong, The Macau Post Daily reports today. However, Chui said that for the time being the operating hours of the present checkpoints would be extended. … Continue reading "Chui says no date yet for 24-hour land-border checkpoints"
17 Jul, 2012
Chief Executive (CE) Fernando Chui Sai On arrived in Beijing Sunday to discuss with the central government the construction of a 24-hour cross-border pedestrian bridge between the northern tip of the Macau Peninsula and the Gongbei district in Zhuhai. The plan to build a 450-metre long cross-border pedestrian bridge was first announced by the government … Continue reading "Chui in Beijing to discuss new Macau-Zhuhai border crossing"
16 Jul, 2012
A total of 47 police cadets were rushed to the public Conde de Sao Januario Hospital Centre for emergency treatment of sunburnt heads on Wednesday, according to a statement by the Macau Public Security Forces Academy (ESFSM) quoted by The Macau Post Daily today. A government spokesperson confirmed yesterday that none of the cadets required … Continue reading "Sunburnt heads land 47 police cadets in Macau hospital"
13 Jul, 2012
Judiciary Police (PJ) Director Wong Sio Chak told reporters Wdnesday that gangland violence in Macau has not worsened and that last month’s brutal attack on a prominent junket boss was an isolated incident. He made the statement at the PJ branch office in Cotai at a ceremony to bestow commendations on officers. Wong said that … Continue reading "Police chief says no evidence of rise in gangland violence"
12 Jul, 2012
A total of 50 local residents Tuesday submitted applications to register as members of anelectoral council that will elect local 12 deputies to the 12th National People’s Congress (NPC). It was the first day that residents could hand in their registration applications in an ad hoc office set up by the Standing Committee of the … Continue reading "Eligible residents start registering to elect local Macau NPC deputies"
11 Jul, 2012
The public Macau Foundation (FM), which has recently come under strong criticism by the Commission of Audit (CA) for its lax subsidy policies, will further strengthen supervision of its subsidies, Au Weng Chi, a member of the foundation’s administration committee, said Tuesday. According to The Macau Post Daily Ao made the pledge on the sidelines … Continue reading "Macau Foundation vows to strengthen supervision of subsidies"
11 Jul, 2012
Executive Council (ExCo) spokesman Leong Heng Teng announced in a press conference at Government House Monday that the 10-member advisory body has finished discussing the government’s two amendment bills on the methods of electing the chief executive (CE) and the Legislative Assembly (AL). Under the proposed changes, the Chief Executive Election Committee will comprise of … Continue reading "ExCo finishes discussing two electoral amendment bills"
10 Jul, 2012
Macau Chief Executive, Chui Sai On, meet Saturday with the Minister of State and Foreign Affairs of Portugal, Paulo Portas at the end of his eight-day trip to China that took him to Beijing and Shanghai. According to the Government Information Bureau, Chui and Portas discussed a wide range of issues including measures to reinforce … Continue reading "Chief Executive of Macau and Portuguese Foreign Minister discuss cooperation"
9 Jul, 2012
The government’s approval rating has dropped over the last six months, according to a survey conducted by the Macau New Vision Association on June 21-22 and quoted by The Macau Post Daily today. The survey has been conducted every six months since June 2010 and uses a sample pool of 1,038 Macau residents over the … Continue reading "Survey shows govt approval rating drops"
6 Jul, 2012
Secretary for Administration and Justice Florinda Chan Lai Man said Wednesday that a survey found that 85 percent of respondents are satisfied with the services the government provides. She made the remarks during a Q&A session in the legislative hemicycle in which the lawmakers raised questions about the public administration. Directly-elected lawmaker-cum-businessman Ung Choi Kun … Continue reading "Policy secretary says 85 pct ‘satisfied’ with govt"
5 Jul, 2012
Macau Prison (EPM) Director Lee Kam Cheong said Tuesday that manpower in the city’s prison is lacking and that there are not enough beds for female inmates. Lee made the remarks during the 2012 Macau Prison Inmates’ Handcrafts Exhibition opening ceremony at Macau Forum. According to Lee, there is only enough space for nine more … Continue reading "Govt says that prison lacks manpower, beds for females"
4 Jul, 2012
Chinese President Hu Jintao on Saturday met with Chui Sai On, chief executive of the Macau Special Administrative Region (SAR) and expressed the recognition of the current situation of Macau as well as the work of the Macau SAR government. He urged the SAR government to attach great importance to the work related to local … Continue reading "President Hu meets Macau Chief Executive in HK"
2 Jul, 2012
The high-profile trial related to the graft-tainted La Scala luxury development in Taipa will comprise eight defendants and start in September, the Portuguese-language Jornal Tribuna de Macau newspaper reported Thursday. According to the report, the trial at the Court of First Instance (TJB) is slated to start on September 17. Prominent Hong Kong property tycoons … Continue reading "La Scala trial to start in Sept with 8 defendants"
29 Jun, 2012