The recent hacking of 34 CTM clients e-mail addresses included several email accounts of local government bureaus, Chief Executive Chui Sai On told reporters Wednesday.
Chui made the comment on the sidelines of a public function.
The 34 e-mail addresses were attacked by hackers whose IP addresses were in the United States and Hong Kong, the Judiciary Police (PJ) announced earlier this week.
“I can tell you that the email accounts attacked by hackers include some belonging to government departments”, Chui was quoted by The Macau Post Daily as saying. However, he declined to disclose further details. “I believe that once the police conclude their investigation it will be the appropriate time to provide the public with more information”, he added.
Chui also said that he had expressed his concern about the US Internet surveillance programme to US Consul-General Stephen Young at a US Independence Day reception in Macau earlier this month. He also added that the Office for Personal Data Protection (GPDP) had already sent an official letter to the US Consulate-General in Hong Kong to ask whether the US Internet spying programme also involved Macau.
The consulate is simultaneously accredited to Macau.
He also noted that the Telecommunications Regulation Bureau (DSRT) had given instructions to local telecom operators on how deal with the incident.
Meanwhile, Secretary for Security Cheong Kuoc Va said that if necessary the government may require the assistance of the International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) in investigating the hacking of CTM clients’ e-mail accounts. He made the remarks during a local reception to celebrate France’s National Day.(macaunews)