The Macau Customs Service and the Food Safety Centre of the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau (IACM) have jointly seized about 330 kilogrammes of fresh food from eight restaurants and a food stall that had been smuggled into the city and had therefore not undergone food inspections, the Customs Service said in a statement on Thursday.
According to the statement, the two entities jointly seized 304.79 kilogrammes of vegetables and 29.3 kilogrammes of meat from the eight restaurants and the food stall between last Friday and Wednesday.
The statement did not say where the contraband came from.
The Food Safety Law, which came into force in 2013, prohibits the selling of uninspected foodstuffs.
According to the law, offenders face a fine of between 50,000 patacas and 600,000 patacas, the statement said.
According to the law, if the offence poses a danger to the public, the offender faces a prison term of up to five years, the statement said.
The statement said that the Macau Customs Service and the Food Safety Centre would continue their actions with the aim of preventing food products from being illegally imported into Macau. The statement also said that both would continue to carry out inspections on restaurants and fresh food outlets.