The Macau Government Tourist Office (MGTO) still hasn’t worked out the details of the exact locations of four tourist walking routes which will be launched by October, MGTO Director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes said Thursday.
She made the comments on the sidelines of the Student Orientation Ceremony of the Institute for Tourism Studies (IFT) at the Macau Science Centre.
Senna Fernandes told reporters on the sidelines of a public function earlier this week that four tourist walking routes would be set up in the peninsula before the start of October, in time for the influx of mainland tourists visiting the city for the National Day holiday, with the aim of encouraging tourists to visit different areas of the peninsula to relieve the heavily overcrowded tourist areas in the city centre.
According to Senna Fernandes, the four walking routes will go from the city centre to Praça de Ponte e Horta; from the city centre to Praça do Tap Seac; from Macau Fisherman’s Wharf to Macau Tower and on to Barra near Ma Kok Temple; while the fourth route will cross the northern districts.
Senna Fernandes said Thursday that details of the exact routes were expected to be announced next month.
When asked if the office was planning to set up walking routes in Taipa and Coloane, she said that the office had no plans for walking routes on the islands.
Senna Fernandes also said that the office would not operate shuttle bus service between the four routes as there were already public bus stops at the start and finish of these routes.
She also said that after the launch of these routes MGTO staff members would be there to assess how many tourists were using them.
A spokesperson for the office told The Macau Post Daily yesterday that the office would print leaflets showing the four routes and make them available at all border checkpoints.(macaunews)