Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) Director Paulo Martins Chan said Thursday that enhancing security in the 39 city’s casinos was “an urgent matter”, even though there was a low risk of the city being attacked.
Chan spoke to reporters at the Venetian in Cotai on the sidelines of a public function.
The bureau and Judiciary Police (PJ) held an urgent meeting with the city’s six gaming operators early this month to discuss new measures to enhance casino security. The meeting came two days after an attack on a Manila casino hotel on June 2, in which 38 people died.
During the meeting on June 4, the police urged the gaming operators to strengthen security measures by raising the number of personnel and equipment and strengthening communication with the police.
On June 5, Secretary for Economy and Finance Lionel Leong Vai Tac told reporters the government hoped that the six gaming operators would submit reports in a week to tell the authorities what additional measures they planned to take to further enhance security on their premises.
Speaking to reporters, Chan said that all the operators had submitted their reports on Monday. He said his bureau and the Judiciary Police would study the operators’ reports to see whether the proposed measures could ensure the safety of casino patrons and staff alike.
According to Macau Post Daily Chan said the government did not have a timetable as to when the new security measures would get off the ground. He was quick to add that the implementation of enhanced casino security measures was, however, “an urgent matter”.
“We hope that we will be able to finish reading their reports as soon as possible, as the reports submitted by some (of the operators) are very thick,” said Chan, adding that after that his bureau and the police would hold another meeting with the operators to discuss whether they would need to further improve on the measures proposed in their reports.
Chan also said that after the June 4 meeting the six operators had already started to implement some measures to reinforce security in their casinos. Chan added that he could not reveal what measures the gaming operators have taken because “security is a sensitive matter”. “As you can understand this is a security measure, so we have to keep it secret,” he said.
Chan also said that that the security measures should be “balanced” – not causing major disruptions to casino patrons while ensuring their safety in the casinos.
Chan also said there was a low risk that there will be a major attack in Macau.
“According to the police’s evaluation, we are still at a relatively low risk (of having a major attack). We don’t believe that there is a high risk now. That’s why our customers are still welcome to come to Macau and relax here and enjoy the atmosphere,” he said.