Macau Government Tourist Office (MGTO) Director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes told lawmakers Monday that the government plans to establish a travel warning system, saying that her bureau had consulted the city’s tourism and insurance sectors on the matter and that they were overall in favour.
Senna Fernandes, who also heads the Tourism Crisis Management Office (GGCT), said the government was looking into how to set up the system, such as whether to use different colours to identify the severity of the situation as an option.
“There are calls from the public that we should follow Hong Kong’s system and we are now looking at this,” she said. “We don’t have a timeline for now but we are close to introducing our first proposal.”
Meanwhile, the GCCT released a statement yesterday on the situation in Vietnam, urging Macau people not to travel there and for those who are in the country not to go to areas hit by anti-China protests.
If necessary, citizens can call the 24-hour tourism hotline (853) 2833 3000 or contact the Chinese embassy in Hanoi on 0084-903474865/903441338, while the number for the Chinese consulate-general in Ho Chi Minh City is 0084-938882098/908002226.
The statement also said that four tours from Macau to Vietnam had been cancelled as a result of the riots, affecting about 100 people, while the GCCT had received 14 enquiries and one request for help.(macaunews/macaupost)