Lau Fong Chi from the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) confirmed during Wednesday’s press conference that no residents had been able to sign up for the helicopter itinerary of its Macao tour scheme. Lau noted that the registration of the scheme’s second phase – the 10 new itineraries – started at 10:30 am on Wednesday, adding that the scheme’s computer system was overloaded as too many people tried to register for the helicopter ride via local travel agencies at the same time after Wednesday morning’s start of the registration.
Lau said that as the system crashed due to overloading, her office had decided to suspend the registration for the helicopter rides.
Meanwhile, the office said in a statement last night that the registration for the helicopter itinerary will resume at 3 pm today at the 150 local travel agencies which have joined the programme.
The statement said that as the helicopter itinerary has now only 700 places, those who have registered for it via travel agencies will have to enter a lucky draw on Monday to determine whether they can have a helicopter ride.
The office also said that it would continue to discuss with the helicopter operator the possible increase in the number of places for the itinerary, in which case those who are allocated a lower rank in the lucky draw would still have a chance to go on a helicopter ride.