Sands China said in a statement on Sunday that concerning the recently reported possible cases of legionnaires’ disease at The Parisian it “has been contacted by the Macau Health Bureau, and is fully co-operating with their investigations”.
According to Hong Kong media reports at the weekend, three Hong Kong men who caught the potentially fatal disease were found to have stayed at The Parisian separately between December and early this month.
The local Health Bureau (SSM) said in a statement on Saturday that it had carried out an inspection of the hotel after it had been notified by its Hong Kong counterpart about the three cases.
The SSM statement said that the hotel management was given “rigorous” instructions on how to adopt the necessary preventive measures.
The male patients, aged 66, 70 and 84, showed symptoms of the disease between early January and early this month, the reports said. Two of the patients stayed at The Parisian in January and March respectively, after which they showed symptoms of the disease. The third man stayed at the hotel in December and came down with the disease in January.
SSM officials inspected the hotel on Friday night. The inspections, according to the statement, focused on the hotel’s fountain, Jacuzzis, swimming pool and water pipes. The statement said that the results of the analyses of different water samples were expected to be known within 10 days.
According to the statement, the bureau ordered the temporary closure of the hotel’s swimming pool and thorough disinfections of its Jacuzzis, swimming pool and water pipes.
Hong Kong media reported on Sunday that one of the three patients remained in critical condition; another was reported to be in serious condition, while the third has been discharged from hospital.