Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai On said on Monday the government was not likely to cease its cash handout scheme next year, Macau Federation of Trade Unions (commonly known as Gung Luen) President Chiang Chong Sek told reporters after meeting Chui at Government Headquarters.
Pointing out that Macau has a fiscal surplus, Chui told Chiang that “it will be okay to continue the [cash handout] scheme next year”, according to the report.
Moreover, Chiang said Chui also stressed that the government will not lower the handout payments, officially known as “wealth-sharing” handout.
This year, the handout for permanent and non-permanent residents was the same as last year, 9,000 patacas and 5,400 patacas respectively. The handout scheme was launched by Macau’s then chief executive Edmund Ho Hau Wah in 2008. It started with 5,000 patacas for permanent and 3,000 patacas for non-permanent residents. It has been raised several times since its inception.
According to two statements by the Office of the Chief Executive (GCE), Chui met representatives from Gung Luen and the Macau General Association of Neighbourhood Unions (commonly known as Kai Fong) separately on Monday to listen to the their opinions before drafting his 2017 Policy Address.
Chui is slated to deliver his policy address next month.
One of the statements also said Chui pledged to speed up the planning process for the 28,000 public housing units planned for Zone A.
Zone A is currently being reclaimed from the sea off the peninsula’s north-eastern coast.