The Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO) released a statement on Thursday announcing the cancellation of a fireworks display scheduled after the countdown on New Year’s Eve outside Macau Tower.
According to the statement, the pyrotechnic material cannot be delivered to the city on time. The statement asked for residents’ “understanding”.
A spokesperson from MGTO said that the fireworks had been scheduled to arrive in Macau on Tuesday, but did not give a reason for the tardy delivery.
The spokesperson said the planned expenditure for the fireworks display was 2.2 million patacas, which due to the cancellation would not be paid to the firework company in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region which had been hired for the display.
The New Year’s fireworks have been a popular event for many years.
(Macau News / The Macau Post Daily)