Macau, China, 30 Aug -The Macau Open is back – bigger and better, with organisers offering record prize money and unprecedented television coverage, according to the South China Morning Post.
The Macau Open was cancelled last year after the Macau Sports Development Board, which underwrote the event, said it was a loss-making exercise. But now it is back with prize money increased 50 per cent to a record US$750,000.
“We are delighted to stage the Macau Open once again on the Asian Tour,” said Vong Iao-lek, president of the Macau Sports Development Board.
The tournament will be played from September 15-18 at the challenging Macau Golf and Country Club. In a first for the tournament, it will be beamed live over four rounds on the Asian Tour’s global television platform.
Having tied up with new partner IMG, the increased profile for the event was lauded by Vong, who said the tournament would continue to showcase Macau as a holiday destination.
Organizers estimate the tournament will be seen in 800 million households.
Asian stars who have their name on the trophy include China’s Zhang Lianwei (2001 & 2002), Taiwan’s Lu Wen-teh (2007) and Thai Thaworn Wiratchant, the last winner of the event.
Among other top names to have competed in Macau are India’s S.S.P. Chowrasia, Englishman Lee Westwood (1999), Colin Montgomerie (2003), Zimbabwe’s Nick Price, England’s Nick Faldo, Fijian Vijay Singh, Australian Steve Elkington, Americans Fred Couples and Mark O’Meara and Ireland’s Padraig Harrington.(MacauNews/Sports)