Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino boxer, is ready to be back since taking a year off from boxing.
“My desire to return to the ring and win is stronger than ever.” Pacquiao told Xinhua after a press conference in Macau Saturday.
As the only boxer who has won world titles in eight different weight divisions, Pacquiao will make his Macau bout with American Brandon Rios in a 12-round welterweight rumble on November 24 at The Venetian Macau’s Cotai Arena.
Rios (31-1-1, 22 KOs), the former World Boxing Association (WBA) lightweight champion is known for his all-action fan-friendly fighting style.
“Out with the old, in with the new..and I’m the new! Many, this is my time,” said Rios.
Pacquiao responded his opponent with smile “Rios is the biggest test out there for me and I will be ready to meet the challenge.” Pacquiao said, “I have heard what Brandon has been saying. If he fights as well as he boasts it will be a great fight for us and the fans.”
he 34-year-old Filipino has had some setbacks recently, having lost his two most recent fights, including last December’s knockout defeat at the hands of Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez.
“Last year was disappointing for me. In fighting Timothy Bradley, though I did not agree with the judges’ decision, I respect it. In my fight against Juan Manuel Mrquez, I was fighting the way I wanted and hurt him badly. Unfortunately I got careless at the end of the round and he landed the perfect punch. But that is what makes boxing so exciting.” Pacquiao told Xinhua, “I was well-prepared for both fights and I look forward to coming back better than ever. I feel great and I will be training to win and win big.”
Pacquiao revealed that he is still in good shape and not thinking about retirement right now. “The plan to retire is when 37-years-old,” he said. (macaunews)