MGM China will finally open its repeatedly delayed casino-hotel resort in Cotai on Tuesday, in time for Chinese New Year.
This comes after the company delayed the opening at least five times since the company broke ground for the Cotai property in 2014.
The US$3.4 billion MGM COTAI complex is the second property that the US gaming operator has in Macau, just over 10 years after it opened its first one in Nape.
MGM COTAI will offer “first-of-its-kind entertainment experiences, never-before-seen-in-Macau innovative dining concepts” featuring four celebrity chefs, and 300 pieces of contemporary art and historical masterworks.
Last month Secretary for Economy and Finance Lionel Leong Vai Tac said that the government had granted MGM COTAI 125 new gaming tables and about 900 slot machines.
Leong said that MGM would only be allowed to put 100 new gaming tables into operation on its opening day, and could only have the other 25 new gaming tables in operation from January 1 next year.
According to Leong, MGM China plans to transfer 77 gaming tables from its Nape property to its new one in Cotai.