Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) Director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes said at the weekend that her office planned to introduce 10 more itineraries to the city’s local tours.
Senna Fernandes made the remarks in a speech at the opening ceremony for “The 3rd Light Night Market – I Wanna Go Out Tonight” at the Fisherman’s Wharf on Saturday.
Senna Fernandes said that “The 3rd Light Night Market” aimed to help small local businesses to get through this difficult time, pointing out that the tourism industry is in dire straits due to the pandemic. Therefore, MGTO is planning to add 10 itineraries to the current Macao tours for locals, with some of the additional tours to visit the night market at the Fisherman’s Wharf.
A subsidised programme for local residents joining tour groups organised by local travel agencies to tour around the city will run until 30 September. The programme, which began last month and is officially known as “Macao Ready Go! Local Tours” in English, originally comprised 15 itineraries in two categories, namely “Community-based Tours” (six itineraries) and “Leisure Tours” (nine itineraries). Residents can get subsidies for one of the “Community-based Tours” and one of the “Leisure Tours”.
After participating in two of the programmes with the MOP-560 subsidy, residents can join other tour groups in the programme, but they will need to pay the full price. Furthermore, non-locals can also join the programmes but will not be able to benefit from the subsidy.
“The 3rd Light Night Market” is open for the general public every Friday, Saturday and Sunday until 20 September from 5 pm to 10 pm at Macau Fisherman’s Wharf. There are light installations, food stalls and arts and crafts on sale at the market.