A Filipino who was diagnosed with COVID-19 in March and completed his hospital treatment earlier this month has tested positive twice since then, the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre said at its daily press conference about the novel coronavirus disease situation on Monday.
According to the statement, the 31-year-old non-resident worker is the 15th among Macau 45 COVID-19 patients.
The patient’s COVID-19 infection was confirmed on March 18. After treatment in the isolation ward of the public Conde S. Januário Hospital Centre for 26 days. He was discharged from the hospital on April 12 when he was immediately transferred to the Public Health Clinical Centre in Coloane for 14 days of preventive isolation and recovery.
Two tests, on Saturday and Sunday, confirmed that he suffered a relapse.
Health Bureau (SSM) officials said at the press conference that the patient’s recovery period at the centre will be extended until he tests negative for the disease twice consecutively.
The officials noted that as recurring COVID-19 cases have been appearing around the world, a three-tier system has been implemented by the Health Bureau (SSM), according to which COVID-19 patients first need to meet all the requirements to be discharged from hospital, after which the patients will be directly taken to the clinical centre in Coloane for preventive isolation for at least 14 days until they consecutively test negative for COVID-19 twice. After leaving the clinic in Coloane, the patients need to stay for another 14 days at home.
19 days without new COVID-19 cases
Meanwhile, public hospital physician Alvis Lo Iek Long announced at the press conference that Macau has not confirmed a new COVID-19 case for 19 days.
According to a statement by the Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre, 43 of Macau’s 45 novel coronavirus disease cases have been classified as imported, while two have been classified by the Health Bureau as “cases related to imported cases.” There have been no COVID-19 deaths.
The statement also stressed that there has been no community outbreak in Macau. Just one of the 45 cases was classified as “serious” – and that patient’s condition is improving.
One more COVID-19 patient was discharged from the public hospital on Monday, a 20-year-old local female student who returned to Macau from the UK via Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong on March 16 when she was diagnosed with COVID-19.
A total of 32 COVID-19 patients have meanwhile been discharged so that only 13 still remained hospitalised on Monday.