Secretary for Transport and Public Works Raimundo do Rosario told reporters on Monday there was no plan to examine the quality of every of the city’s thousands of subsidised home ownership scheme (HOS) flat.
Rosario said that due to the fact that many owners have already moved into their flats, it was “impossible” to expect inspectors to look at each and every HOS flat for construction problems, especially when the problem lies within the walls.
Two contractors had been hired for the construction of Koi Nga Building in SeacPai Van, Rosario told the media on the sidelines of a public event. He said the government was unsure which contractor was responsible for the wall which was found by a resident of Koi Nga Building last month to contain discarded bags.
When pressed by reporters over whether the government would pursue legal action, Rosario said this way of action would only be pursued after an internal investigation has been completed as to whether the fault lies with the contractor.
Housing Bureau (IH) Vice Director KuocVai Han said at the same event her bureau was working with the Infrastructure Development Office (GDI) on the various complaints about the construction quality of public housing units. However, she said that the bureau had not received any requests for repairs as of Monday.
The bureau oversees the government’s public housing projects and estates.
Kuoc said once the complaints have been looked into and the bureau has spoken to the contractors, it would release more details to the public.
HOS flats are much cheaper than their counterparts in the private sector since they are heavily subsidised by the government. (macaunews/macaupost)