The seven bronze statues on the façade of the Ruins of St. Paul’s built in the 17th century will start to be restored this year and will finish in 2018.
According to the Cultural Affairs Bureau (IC) the restoration of two of the statues will be carried out first during this year and the next five in 2018.
The Cultural Affairs Bureau guarantees that the removal of the statues will not damage the structure. The statues will be cleaned, stain removal and polished.
The IC invited foreign experts to study the situation and the restoration needs in 2016.
The Ruins of St. Paul’s refer to the façade of what was originally the Church of Mater Dei built in 1602-1640 and destroyed by fire in 1835.
The old Church of Mater Dei, St. Paul’s College and Mount Fortress were Jesuit constructions and formed what can be perceived as the Macau’s “acropolis”.
Close by, the archaeological remains of the old College of St. Paul stand witness to what was the first western-style university in the Far East, with an elaborate academic programme.
The facade of the Ruins of St. Paul is the most popoular touristic location in Macau.